Amtrak is looking for an Intern to join our Engineering, Electric Traction department. Amtrak operates and maintains a power network in the northeast corridor that is used to supply trains and other equipment with electricity that is referred to as Traction Power. Amtrak and its traction power network is analogous to a utility company in that they have transmission lines, distribution lines, generation, and control centers that oversee the power network. Amtrak’s control centers are the epicenters for the operations and use propriety control systems to manage their Traction Power networks. The selected candidate will be engaged in all levels of the traction power network but primarily be focused on the control centers and generating aspect of the operations for the Electric Traction department.
• Ensuring that safety is paramount for employees and customers.
• Ensuring that the development and implementation of new technology is safe for operations.
• Beta testing of control center software
• Oversee factory acceptable testing of software and hardware implementation
• Document and record software and hardware issues
• Provide technical support to end users
• Ensuring that specification and standards are followed
• Calibration of telemetry equipment
• Develop and document procedures used by operations
• Must be actively pursuing a degree at an accredited educational institution.
• Must be actively pursuing a graduate degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering.
• Must have at least 1 year of academic undergraduate studies completed or a sophomore status at minimum.
• Must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, self-starter, motivated individual
• Demonstrated competency with control systems and basic electrical theory
• Willingness to hold both office and field positions to obtain technical and operational experience
• Willingness to travel
• Ability to successfully manage multiple tasks
• Familiarity with Programming, Windows and Linux-based systems
COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
Internal Number: 90259764
The Northeast Corridor (NEC) is the rail backbone of the Northeast region and the busiest passenger rail corridor in the United Sates. It connects eight states and the District of Columbia and each day serves 800,000 riders and 2,000 commuter, intercity, and freight trains.