The Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) has an outstanding opportunity for an innovative transportation leader to fill the role of Deputy Assistant Secretary of Multi-Modal Development and Delivery (M2D2). The M2D2 Office sets the stage for future generations by creating the foundation of a sustainable transportation system using Practical Solutions and innovative approaches through integrating smart growth policy.
The Deputy Assistant Secretary of M2D2 requires forethought and creativity in leading a diverse group of WSDOT staff. Responsible for the day-to-day oversight, direction, and policy support of Division Directors that develop programs to guide Practical Solutions implementation, this position ensures WSDOT's planning, engineering and operational procedures consistently reflect best practices and meet or exceed industry standards. The Deputy Assistant Secretary of M2D2 assists the Assistant Secretary in guiding the agency in developing and implementing initiatives that result in successfully integrated transportation systems within the communities of Washington State.
This position will perform the following work:
- Develop a Practical Solutions decision-making framework that outlines the general process and key issues to consider during development of multimodal transportation programs.
- Provide oversight of the development and implementation of policy and technical guidance, communication and training for the agency's Practical Solutions initiative.
- Collaborate with agency executive leadership, legislative leadership, key local officials and other external stakeholders to identify, advocate for, and implement policies and best practices as they relate to delivery and management of the transportation system.
- Monitor program metrics that support an integrated Practical Solutions approach to asset management, planning, operations, modal systems, project development and delivery, as well as, the construction and maintenance of the transportation system as a whole.
- Successfully build coalitions, establish partnerships, create constituent support and influence public opinion on issues vital to successful multimodal projects, program development, and delivery.
- Align the processes with WSDOT's Strategic Plan, the Governor's initiatives, and the agency's priorities, which include Practical Solutions, Inclusion, and Workforce Development.
- Model leadership and performance characteristics that promote professionalism, integrity, accountability, and public service.